If you are bleeding in Borders, don't expect an employee to help you....

Thursday, September 4, 2008

So today, was a very interesting day....

I stopped at Borders Bookstore on my way to pick up Olivia from school. I was in the magazine aisle when I heard a little boy starting to scream and a mother looking very frantic. I looked over at her and she had blood all over her shirt and her little boy was screaming bloody murder. I heard her say, "Oh my God, he needs stitches". Ironically, I watched the cashier still give her receipt to sign after she said this and obviously looked distressed.

So she scooped him up and started to run for the door (to my ultimate amazement, not one of the Border's employees who were standing around looked like they were going to help her), so I ran over and held the door open for her and she raced out. I watched her run to her car, but then saw her turn around and headed back. I held the door open again for her and she laid the boy down in the middle of the floor. She said she couldn't drive with him bleeding like this, she had another little girl with her (around 7) and she was crying hysterically.

So finally one of the employees brought over a roll of paper towel ls and just sat it by her. Didn't do anything else. I couldn't believe it. The mother was really frantic at this point. So I took the paper towel and held it to the little boy's cut while she called 911 because she couldn't drive while he was bleeding all over the place. The cut was pretty deep and split open on his forehead, definitely in need of stitches, but I do know that all head cuts bleed profusely even if they are superficial.

The poor little girl was still crying so I tried to talk to her, it was funny because she said it was her birthday and her little brother always ruins it, LOL!!! Anyway, she was trying to call 911 on her cell phone, but really couldn't hear or talk over the little boy screaming. So I took the phone and proceeded to give the 911 operator directions to Borders. It was crazy. I still don't know how he cut himself so badly in the checkout line. Anyway, the 911 operator asked me for the exact address of the store and I asked one of the employees standing there and they just shrugged their shoulders. I couldn't believe it. Finally, one of them walked over to the main desk to get the address off a receipt.

Anyway, long story short - one of the employees finally said, there was an urgent care center across the street and he would drive her over. So I told the 911 operator to cancel the ambulance.

Gosh - what an afternoon...all I know was that I was NOT impressed with the employees. You would think that they would have taken charge more. I know it wasn't a life and death situation, but I would have thought that the manager would have came out and kept the mother calm or something. Well, now we know, hence the title of the post....

No comments :

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs